1. Leadership: The military trains people to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation, and inspiration. Veterans understand the practical ways to manage behaviors for results, even in the most trying circumstances. They also know the dynamics of leadership as part of both hierarchical and peer structures. Hire a Veteran.
2. Teamwork: Veterans understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one’s colleagues. Military duties involve a blend of individual and group productivity. They also necessitate a perception of how groups of all sizes relate to each other and an overarching objective.
3. Performance under pressure: Veterans understand the rigors of tight schedules and limited resources. They have developed the capacity to know how to accomplish priorities on time, in spite of tremendous stress. They know the critical importance of staying with a task until it is done right.
4. Integrity: Veterans know what it means to do “an honest day’s work.” Prospective employers can take advantage of a track record of integrity, often including security clearances. This integrity translates into qualities of sincerity, committment and trustworthiness.
5. Accountability: Veterans have gained a unique perspective on the value of accountability. They can grasp their place within an organizational framework, becoming responsible for subordinates’ actions to higher supervisory levels. They know how policies and procedures enable an organization to function and exist.
Let’s continue to “Bridge the Gap between Veterans and the Civilian Workforce” by matching the right Veteran with the best next career path!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Bridgette is a proven Consultant, Career Coach and subject matter expert in all aspects of veteran transition preparation and re-integration to the Civilian Workforce. Her 23 years of honorable U.S. Naval Service includes 17 years of leadership and management experience, coupled with communications, counseling, staff development, and strategic planning.
B. Austin Consulting, LLC, provides the education and training to equip employers to successfully hire and utilize transitioning veterans.